Thursday, September 5, 2013

Scottie's OTB!

As much as I love sewing, I also love to knit. I don't do as much since it takes me quite a bit longer per project. 

Recently, a really sweet online friend of mine asked if I would knit a soaker for her newborn baby boy. Of course I could! How could I say no? :) 

So we got to chatting, and came up with a cute little idea for the soaker. A simple grey and white combination, with a drawstring at the waist and rolled cuffs that will be gentle on his thighs. Then for some fun, an embroidered 'Scottie' on the bum! 

I got sketching on my graph paper and came up with this. I had help from another knitting (grand)mama in perfecting the sketch on paper. 

It took me a couple of weeks to knit the actual soaker, and then another weekend to embroider the design onto it. I used 'duplicate stitch'  - a technique in knitting where you mimic the knit stitches in the desired shape, with another strand of yarn. Thus, "duplicating" the stitches.

Over all, I was quite happy with how it turned out.

Steamed it, set it, packaged and sent it off to its new owner.

Then a few days ago, I got a message from her. With a photo. Of her baby wearing my creation. It is so much cuter on him! I just about squealed, I was so happy it fits him so well :) 

Now I can't wait to make another one...with a different design ofcourse ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment